Saturday, March 5, 2011

Yo No Sé Mañana


Me, and my Gringa Canadian, Leah


Me, Anderson, Jenny, Maja, Pati and Mario







How to summarize the past couple of weeks?

Full of spanish, english, politics, sociology, and science classes. Hours of reading, hours of teaching. Bus rides to far off corners of the country, and car rides to just around the corner. Sunrise runs with my Canadian Gringa, Leah. Night basketball with my Salvadoran Guanacos. Leaning towards vegetarianism, but lacking the commitment (I really like chicken). Wondering how globalism has shaped this world and what the future holds for not just civilization, but mankind. Lighter subjects such as girls and movies also cross my mind. Dance nights at Café La Té, and coffee nights at la casa de Anderson. Five dollar pitchers at El Establo. Studying. Tests. Sleeping. Eating. Skyping. Music. One wild monkey kid, one "princesa tibetana." Two loving parents. Warm, tropical weather. One replacement dog (almost). The days are going by faster than before and I'm finding it hard to keep my head from spinning off my shoulders. I miss the peaceful tranquility of last fall. Last week of classes this week, graduation on Thursday. I'm riding on a train that's speeding downhill with the station on the horizon. I'm torn between missing home and not wanting to leave. My heart feels heavy when I think of either. I was thinking as I ran home from the park this morning around 7 that I needed to post but instead of a boring 'what's happening' update, I thought I would make two lists. What I miss and don't miss (culturally). --> Tried to be culturally but ended up just throwing in things..

What I miss about the states.
-Drinking tap water. Whenever. Wherever.
-Drinking shower water.
-Sunlight after 6pm.
-Clean air (well my Flagstaff air)
-Safe drivers.
-Walking around at night (safely).
-Not hearing horns and sirens every waking minute
-Not constantly surrounded by police carrying shotguns
-Forest. (once again, Flagstaff)
-Good ice cream. I mean good.
-Chocolate, and sweets in general.
-Taking a shower, walking to school and feeling like I've taken another shower (thank you humidity).
-Having a pet that is not malnourished. .
-Midnight snacks. Or more, eating whatever I want, whenever I want.
-Good, public education.
-Less corrupt government.
-Biking.



What I prefer here in El Salvador
-Cold showers. They preserve so much more water, feel great in the morning, and wake you up better than coffee.
-The "buenos dias, buenas tardes, or buenas noches" you are greeted with no matter where you are.
-Public buses (despite the danger of both the driver and the people who ride them).
-The Weather.
-Cell phones. People hardly text and when phone calls are made they are as short as possible to save "saldo." You pay as you go.
-Cost of living.
-Chocobananas. Frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and sprinkled in nuts. Favorite thing here.
-Licuados... delicious fruit/milk frozen drinks sold for a dollar near the school.
-Walking. . . when I don't bus, I walk, and I like it.
-Spanish (over English) if only I could speak completely fluently..
-Of course, the (responsable) drinking age (18 as it should be in the States).
-Big city (this of course just San Salvador)
-Near the beach.
-Colonial themed towns.
-$1.25 movies on wednesdays. $2.50 every other day.
-the $1 (pirated) movies they sell outside our apartment complex.
-PUPUSAS. PUPUSAS. PUPUSAS.
-The food here in general: beans, rice, platanos.
-Doing laundry, if not always by hand, always hanging out to dry.
-My room here. (With two big windows, and porch, duh).



I miss my family and dog a lot but I love living on my own and am in love with San Salvador. After this week of English classes, I plan on relaxing a bit, and then looking into taking some Spanish classes through CIS as I did in the Fall. I will help out with the first couple weeks of the next English cycle but I am States bound come April, I will be making my way home through Ft Lauderdale Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment